The news immediately followed the release of a video from ISIS insurgents in Syria threatening to turn the Gaza Strip into another one of their Middle East territories and accusing Gaza' Hamas rulers of selling out Islamic values.
Reuters also reported on alleged obstacles the Pentagon claims it is facing regarding the ability to train the death squad volunteers due to a lack of ability to "vet" them appropriately as well as a bizarre incident where fighters abandon the mission after having received training from the US military. The reason provided by the Pentagon was that the fighters did not want to sign a contract to avoid fighting Assad. But, in the same report, the Pentagon states that there was no such contract - only one requiring them to "respect human rights" and "the rule of law," so the reason provided for the disappearance of these fighters lacks legitimacy. One can only speculate as to where these "trainees" disappeared to.
Shark attacks dominated the mainstream news. Shark attacks and Bush jokes. The Bush jokes went away for a while after he made that speech at the still smouldering ruins of the World Trade center attacks.
Just something to think about.
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
Shark attacks in the U.S. reached their highest level in more than a decade last year, reported scientists with the University of Florida.
The University of Florida's International Shark Attack File, released on Monday, says the U.S. experienced 53 attacks in 2012, the most since 2000 -- and surged over a low of 31 last year. But don't make too much of that year to year surge, explained George Burgess, curator of the File and a scientist with the University of Florida.
Security sources say 15 died when a car bomb exploded at a military post in North Sinai, one of five targeted along with a police station.
Witnesses report hearing blasts in Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah, with many residents fleeing their homes over fears of grenades.
Al Jazeera reported as many as 70 people were involved in the attacks.
Presidential elections loom in the country in October, so perhaps it' not surprising that a Lilian Herraez, a federal judge in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina' southernmost region, ordered the seizure of $156 million in property and bank holdings of oil drilling companies, including Noble Energy of the United States.
The government in Buenos Aires said on June 27 that the other targets of asset seizures were Edison International of Italy and three British-based companies, Falkland Oil and Gas Ltd., Premier Oil Plc and Rockhopper Exploration Plc.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has authorised a change in the rules of engagement agreed by the Turkish parliament to allow the army to strike at Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), as well as the Assad regime, according to local newspapers.