Author Topic: Interstate party swim! - Chat Brat Anonymous  (Read 138 times)

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
Interstate party swim! - Chat Brat Anonymous
« on: Apr 27, 2019    10:58:14 PM »
 Interstate party swim!       8 posts          Richard Stanz     
Posts 163
  Could be lostCould be lost       Jun 28, 2005 #1
   Alright guys, beat this for lazy hazy boring summer evening excitement:

I joined a six or eight year old tradition (nobody knows for sure) amongst some crazy middle aged (and college aged) "kids" tonight!

About 16 of us met after work and drove down to the Ohio River, to a place near a locks & dam. The river is huge at this point - several hundred yards across, and plenty deep. To do this right, you drink one Pabst Blue Ribbon beer and smoke an unfiltered Camel cigarette, then swim over to the West Virginia side and drink another PBR/smoke another cig, then swim back to Ohio and - you guessed it, drink & smoke one more of each. WAHOO!

A couple of university professors did this, along with several established "professional" types, so it wasn't bad company. They all did it on a dare the first time, then they keep coming back each year. It was a truly friendly, slightly dumb, and thoroughly sophomoric thing to do. I had a blast.

A boat followed us across, since the beer and cigs had to get over there somehow. There was even a giant rope dangling from a giant tree, and you could get way up the bank & swing a long way. Obviously it's designed for you to drop into the water but the level's way to low right now. Both banks had lots of sand & rocks and were clean & easy to walk around on.

There, top that, someone! WAHOO!   "And to the republic........."!     Share         
Remove Ads. Join VIP+
       Sadie          Jun 28, 2005 #2
   Hey Richard, sounds like you had a blast!

I don't think I would make it very far since I can't swim. :lol:

But, whoohoo for you! How many trips did you make?
              luna          Jun 28, 2005 #3
   What a blast!            Richard Stanz     
Posts 163
  Could be lostCould be lost       Jun 28, 2005 #4
   Well I'm sorry to say we just went across and back one time... but it would have gotten dark if we tried it again, plus most folks just budgeted their time & energy for that one trip. It was enough! We had the added thrill of racing a barge full of coal on the flip side. It came around the bend just after we left the W.Va. shore and when we were in the middle you could look downstream & see this monster boat bearing down on you... at a safe distance, but still, it's like that feeling you get when you stop on the railroad track and you know a train's coming and there's plenty of time, but you stand there and the thrill/fear builds up... then you bust your butt to get the heck out of the way!!!!

It made the final beer taste that much better. Interesting too was the way that there were just enough beers on the boat for everyone to only have one at "halftime". Somebody figured they better not let anyone get carried away, with hundreds of yards yet to go.   "And to the republic........."!     Share         
Remove Ads. Join VIP+
      Richard Stanz     
Posts 163
  Could be lostCould be lost       Jun 28, 2005 #5
   It made me remember an old joke... Q: why do they build bridges over the Ohio River? A: so the West Virginia (or Kentucky) boys can swim over in the shade.

Tonight it was our side in the water!   "And to the republic........."!     Share                 Sadie          Jun 28, 2005 #6
   LOL, funny how neighboring states always have jokes about each other.

Here it is usually Alabama jokes. :P
             Richard Stanz     
Posts 163
  Could be lostCould be lost       Jun 28, 2005 #7
   Yeah, and when I was travelling around in Morocco, the locals tell French jokes!   "And to the republic........."!     Share                 SouthernGrace          Jun 29, 2005 #8
   Richard!! That sounds like so much fun. Nothing like not taking yourself too seriously.

Life is a lot more fun that way!!

Good for you. I know that was fun!! :hugs:
 https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/chat_brat_anonymous/interstate-party-swim-t1041.html

Chat Brat Anonymous - Interstate party swim!

Started by ArchiverBoard Chat Brat Archives

Replies: 0
Views: 10
Last post Oct 20, 2019    05:40:42 PM
by Archiver
It's the weekend, want to party with me? - Chat Brat Anonymous

Started by ArchiverBoard Chat Brat Archives

Replies: 0
Views: 23
Last post Nov 07, 2018    03:21:35 AM
by Archiver
So I am gonna have one kick ass party.. - Chat Brat Anonymous