Author Topic: Emergency Preparedness Info - Chat Brat Anonymous ( Pinned )  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
Re: Emergency Preparedness Info - Chat Brat Anonymous
« Reply #24 on: Sep 03, 2018    06:50:03 PM »
 Emergency Preparedness Info       354 posts
  •           Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        17 Oct 2011, 23:07 #241

Guest,Oct 17 2011 wrote:
    Sadie,Oct 17 2011 wrote:
    Guest,Oct 16 2011 wrote:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016O ... PDKIKX0DER

Sadie was asking about a radio.
     Heres a basic AM/FM that runs...

Four AA batteries offer up to 80 hours of battery life for extended play.

I believe I'll get one next time I order from Amazon. I've got a couple of basic am/fm radios.

I was asking about shortwave or ham radios. oh...sorry.

I have a AM-FM radio with digitial tuning and it will kill 4 D batteries in 4 hours.
     :disbelief:

So I was looking for something easy on batteries...and remembered you saying something about a radio. I have one of those "wind up" radios too.

My brother got it for my mom and she didn't really need it
     so I have it now. It 's good in an emergency and you don't
     have or run out of batteries. It's been a while since I used it
     so I don't remember how long a charge lasts per cranks.

Quote     Like      Share                   Hoss the SURVIVER   
    Posts 6,266
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        18 Oct 2011, 04:57 #242
     HI ALL

I switched over to those hand cranked type torches

Way cheaper too?

Hoss dee

Rasool "The Swine Killer" el Wakeel

Islamic swine that is

"Those who make peaceful change impossible, make violent change inevitable.?
     Sheep can be dangerous
     Wolves are dangerous, but nothing is as dangerous
     As a wolf in sheeps clothing
     BLEET BAAAABAAAHH ? SNAP

Oil' be BACK still have imageshack GRANNY GEEFAW    Quote     Like      Share                   Guest         21 Oct 2011, 18:45 #243
     Anyone know of a good source for some good dried buttermilk?
     You cain't make a decent biscuit/pancake without it.

I checked Honeyville...but they don't have it.    Quote      Share                  Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        25 Oct 2011, 17:33 #244

Guest,Oct 21 2011 wrote: Anyone know of a good source for some
    good dried buttermilk?
     You cain't make a decent biscuit/pancake without it.

I checked Honeyville...but they don't have it. I was looking at powdered milk at Kroger last week and I am almost
     positive I saw something like powdered buttermilk.

I will look again this weekend.

In the meantime, here is a good link to check out
     http://armageddonmedicine.net/?cat=1

Quote     Like      Share                  Morgan Byler   
    Posts 11,136
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        25 Oct 2011, 19:11 #245

sorry, I know the answer to this...but I forgot where the thread was

yes, in the baking section of just about any grocery store, you can get a can of SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend

mix with water according to directions on the can

use it for cooking and baking and it will give you the buttermilk flavor

won't make a good buttermilk drink, but its great in bread and such

refrigerate after opening

I always have some in the fridge

go here:

http://sacofoods.com/products/view/cultured-buttermilk

storm's getting worse...
     we'll pass through it soon enough

[size=50%]not by fire, but by ice? [/size]

look at the sky five minutes every day and five minutes every night and it will change your life.? ?

just sayin'

Quote     Like      Share                  Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        25 Oct 2011, 19:38 #246
     yay, so my memory isn't completely gone yet! :clap:

Quote     Like      Share                   Guest         25 Oct 2011, 21:09 #247
     :cheer: Thank you ladies.

I knew some of you smarter than me peeps would know.

And thanks for the link Morgan...apparently nearly all the stores around here should have it..and if not Amazon does for about $5.50 a lb delivered.

And Sadie about that Med site...I've been meaning to tell the peeps here that you can get Ciprofloxin at Amazon "for fish" for around $40.00 for 100 pills 500 mg.

Which is a great price esp. when you figure no doctor bill. Its a great all round antibiotic.

I used to buy it from a pharmacy for my mother...and it was $5.00 A PILL!

They also have iodine pills now in case of a nuclear incident.
     I'm going to order some of that and everyone should keep generic aspirin handy as a great damn near free blood thinner.

Now I'm going back to your armageddon site.    Quote      Share                  Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        30 Oct 2011, 01:49 #248
     I read that "older" people shouldn't take the iodine because it
     won't do any good. That's why I haven't bought any so far. :dunno:

this site has a LOT of survivalist PDF's to view.
     http://www.berzerker.net/jonboon/free/survival/

Quote     Like      Share                  ~The Chalk Ninja~   
    Posts 126
      Could be lost
    Could be lost        08 Nov 2011, 22:17 #249

Sadie,Oct 30 2011 wrote: I read that "older" people shouldn't take the iodine because it
     won't do any good. That's why I haven't bought any so far.
    :dunno:

perhaps at your age
     you need lead-lined rocking chair
     and shielded walker

~ :4U:

~ :ninja: ~ ~haiku assassin grandmaster~    Quote     Like      Share                  Hoss the SURVIVER   
    Posts 6,266
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        09 Nov 2011, 16:04 #250
     HI ALL

perhaps at your age
     you need lead-lined rocking chair
     and shielded walker
     :pissed: :pissed:

Watch it CKALKIE ?
     Remember they'r4e nasty as they get older :in-o-cent: :worship or !: :hoss: Hoss dee

Islamic swine that is

Sheep can be dangerous
     BLEET BAAAABAAAHH ? SNAP

Oil' be BACK still have imageshack GRANNY GEEFAW

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Sep 03, 2018    06:51:22 PM »
  •           Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        21 Jan 2012, 19:54 #251
     saw this article and thought it was a good idea.

How to Have fresh Potatoes & Greens Galore when SHTF...Virtually immune from urban looters...

Posted By: Watchman
     Date: Friday, 20-Jan-2012 18:12:06

I have been planting potatoes of most every variety virtually every where I find some open space, including of course my own property.

Potatoes will grow in every US state, of course some places are better than others.

Many folks, especially those living in urban areas have been concerned about protecting their food stores from looters and rioters. The key to the technique about growing them is the simple fact that 99% of folks would not recognize a potato plant, nor be able to discern it from a weed. The key?-- weeds do not attract undue attention from hungry folks busy looking for cans and boxes of foods they recognize.

Now the technique is simple... Small Potatoes can be ready for harvest in as few as 8 weeks. Full size ones are ready when the plants die.

The neat thing is that they do fairly well with NO weeding, fertilizing or attention. Of course the harvest is greater when fertilizer is applied prior to planting and at mid term (about 6-8 weeks after planting)

I powder the cut side of the eyes (see the following link) with a small amount of flowers of sulphur, available from most drug stores.

The sulphur aids in combating potato parasites/diseases, and the plant really loves it, since potatos need some acidic content to the soil.

As an aside, I also sow small patches of turnipseed for their greens and roots.

Now as to where? Both potatoes and turnips love lots of sun light, and well dug (loose) beds.

I plant/sow turnips in my flower beds (makes good ground cover until they get big, but by then I have eaten most anyway..

Potatoes and turnips grow good on roadsides, parks, along driveways, and of course in your garden. With lots of "secret" places, your plants will be most secure from most scavengers. By planting them in various non-obvious places, you can be assured of sustenance in the worst of times.

I have some potato beds that have been growing/self rejuvenating for three years. Here in Alabama you never have to buy special "seed" potatoes. Just buy them from farmers markets and eat them until they start to sprout. Then prepare them and plant.

Another thing is important. You DO NOT have to harvest more than you need to eat. The ones you don't need to eat will store GREAT underground, year around. You will have a few bad ones after months of storage, but most will last just fine..

Now, use your thinking cap and plant all sorts of "discrete" food plots. Animals will not eat potatoes, but they do like greens.. just plant more than they can eat. You can also plant other discreet food plants in various places. Most urbanites will not recognize them, especially if they are along roadsides. Most do not know what food in the raw looks like...

Now here's the link to all you need to know...

http://www.howdogardener.com/potatoes.html

Quote     Like      Share                  Wahya   
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        11 Feb 2012, 02:30 #252

http://www.shtfplan.com

:ninja:     Quote     Like      Share                  vikingwoman   
    Posts 72
      Could be lost
    Could be lost        11 Feb 2012, 22:42 #253
     I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm finally rotating my stored food. I have two big buckets of seeds that will sprout for sprouts. I never did my own sprouts before so I'm learning how to do that now. Sprouted seeds are powerhouses of all sorts of nutritional goodies - and I was also told to soak and sprout grains before grinding to make flours - for breads.

My aim is to use the sprouts in my blended green drinks.    Quote     Like      Share                  KnightStar   
    Posts 6,236
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        11 Feb 2012, 22:44 #254

vikingwoman,Feb 11 2012 wrote: and I was also told to soak and sprout grains before grinding to make flours - for breads.
    Never heard of spouting them first. :hmm:

Wouldn't that make paste instead of flour?

I've found the dryer and harder the better to make flour.

:ks: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."    Quote     Like      Share                  vikingwoman   
    Posts 72
      Could be lost
    Could be lost        14 Feb 2012, 22:04 #255
     I stand corrected Knightstar. I looked up my reference ("Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig - recommended by my son's then Functional Doctor of Medicine when we lived in Vermont.

Sally recommends that you grind grain when it's dry, then soak the flour 12 to 24 hours in an acidic medium such as buttermilk, yogurt, milk with lemon juice in it to sour it - because the acidic soaking helps break down the enzymes and it softens the whole meal flour (making it resemble white flour product). I know this is also recommended for gluten free products.

I saw an episode of America's Test Kitchen where they were making "real" gingerbread - and making the distinction between baking soda and baking powder. What happens is that the soda is required if the batter is too acidic - the baking soda neutralizes the acid in the powder - but you need to add more to make it rise. In many gluten free breads, having the flour soak in an acidic medium helps to make the bread rise - and soften - the product, both issues with gluten free breads.

Anyway, thanks for bringing that up or else I would be soaking my grains before grinding and make a complete mess!

Now I have to learn to sprout sprouts and keep them clean (sprouts are notorious for bringing icky e coli when you buy them commercially.)

Quote     Like      Share                  KnightStar   
    Posts 6,236
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        14 Feb 2012, 23:49 #256
     :lol:

:thumb:

:ks: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."    Quote     Like      Share                  KnightStar   
    Posts 6,236
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        21 Feb 2012, 20:10 #257

:ks: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."    Quote     Like      Share                  Herb   
    Posts 26,216
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        09 Mar 2012, 14:23 #258
     Yoder's back at MRE depot: http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-697 ... ogs/Detail    Quote     Like      Share                  Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        15 May 2012, 20:55 #259
     A good supply of these would be good if you run out of candles.
     Instead of melting old candles, use the block wax.

Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        02 Jun 2012, 19:50 #260
     http://www.eattheweeds.com

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Sep 03, 2018    06:53:05 PM »
  •           KnightStar   
    Posts 6,236
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        15 Aug 2012, 21:47 #261
     Here is a good way to start preps.

Sadie? You listening?

Get yourself one of these and add to it over time.

Click on Image.

:ks: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."    Quote     Like      Share                   Hoss the SURVIVER   
    Posts 6,266
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        16 Aug 2012, 06:12 #262
     HI ALL

Da n wen she needs protein!!

RawMaggots Hoss dee

Islamic swine that is

Sheep can be dangerous
     BLEET BAAAABAAAHH ? SNAP

Oil' be BACK still have imageshack GRANNY GEEFAW    Quote     Like      Share                  KnightStar   
    Posts 6,236
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        08 Sep 2012, 17:43 #263
     I have been buying those 72 hour survival bug out bags for family members.

Most have been receptive but I think a few are just humouring ol' Grampa. :lol:

:ks: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."    Quote     Like      Share                  Herb   
    Posts 26,216
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        11 Sep 2012, 22:57 #264
     Costco: http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.a ... lang=en-US    Quote     Like      Share                   elmo         11 Sep 2012, 23:22 #265

KnightStar,Sep 8 2012 wrote: but I think a few are just humouring ol' Grampa.

:ks: ..yeah we're the crazy ones now. But if tshtf..then all of a sudden we are all geniusssssss.

:)    Quote      Share                  johntitor   
    Posts 60
      Could be lost
    Could be lost        21 Sep 2012, 23:26 #266
     Personally, what I feel is best to prep and in this order is,,, Organic seeds, grow media, tarps for a greenhouse, dehydrated foods, a water distiller or learn how to distill water, (that IS the only way to remove radiation from water).
     Solar power, even just the Harbor Freight solar panels, they will light up 2 rooms and can recharge 4 batteries daily which you can run a DC volt fridge easily with as well.
     Firearms for self protection - not for killing people.
     Medicines and hygiene supplies..
     and last but not least, a good bug out plan with preferably an older car before the mid 70's so an EMP or solar flare won't take it out along with gas cans. That's at least a starter, but if you talk with your neighbors, there is strength and security in numbers... NUFF SAID 8~)

OH, I almost forgot, the ONLY WAY TO PROTECT ELECTRONIC EQUIP is to wrap in plastic then in tinfoil, yes I said tin foil. An EMP is an microwave. If you don't believe me call somebody on your cell, put it on speaker phone and then while they are talking slowly wrap the tin foil around your phone. It will lose ALL SIGNAL, same with GPS or any type of electronics as long as the foil isn't touching any metal on the inside your electronics will still work if an event does happen... Just FYI NUFF SAID 8~)    Quote     Like      Share                   elmo         03 Oct 2012, 16:24 #267
     Watch "The Road" with Viggo Mortenson and Charlize Theron.
     It was just on FX.

If the post apocolyptic world is like that...you can have it.
     That kinda life is not worth living.

:dejected:

Quote      Share                  Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        08 Oct 2012, 20:13 #268
     Hidden Storage and Secret Compartment

cool stuff.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24582175/A-Lo ... mpartments

Quote     Like      Share                   Bumble Bee Tuna         14 Oct 2012, 15:15 #269
     :yak:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/10/ ... lant-oven/
     [size=75%]
     Worker Dies After Being Cooked In Tuna Plant Oven[/size]
     October 12, 2012 6:53 PM

SANTA FE SPRINGS (AP) — Authorities say a 62-year-old employee was cooked to death at a Southern California seafood plant for tuna maker Bumble Bee Foods.

The Whittier Daily News reports Jose Melena was found Thursday shortly before 7 a.m. at the plant in Santa Fe Springs.

California Division of Occupational Safety and Health spokeswoman Erika Monterroza says it’s unclear how the man ended up inside a cooking device called a “steamer machine.”

:candle:

elmo    Quote      Share                   elmo         18 Oct 2012, 20:35 #270
     I was reading 4 Wheeler magazine.
     And they were questioning people what they were doing to prepare for
     the apocolypse.

One guy answered...I bought a 12 gauge and a .45 auto,
     They asked..but what about food and water?

He answered....oh that...I don't worry about that.
     I live in Calif. Theres lots of unarmed liberals out here.
     I'll just take theirs.

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Sep 03, 2018    06:54:33 PM »
  •           Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        25 Oct 2012, 02:40 #271
     good info here

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/prac ... cies/54480

Posts 6,236
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        25 Oct 2012, 21:50 #272
     We've been buying a few of these storage containers:

They are a bit pricey but they hold 40 lbs and have a moisture/ air tight lid and are easily accessible when stacked.

We have a couple of 60lb ones for flour and sugar and a couple 40lb ones for rice and macaroni.

http://www.bridensolutions.ca/gamma-food-vault-40-lbs

:ks: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."    Quote     Like      Share                  Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        04 Nov 2012, 23:10 #273

15 FOODS YOU CAN REGROW FROM SCRAPS!
     Posted by indianinthemachine2 on July 21, 2012
     Posted in: Detoxify To Handle Higher Galactic Energies, Uncommon sense. Tagged: 15 FOODS YOU CAN REGROW FROM SCRAPS!. 13 comments

96 Votes

The Healthy Hybrid – A life in transition
     Various plants (in no particular order) that you can regrow from the food you already have! Woot! Way to reuse and recycle! I constantly have green onions and celery growing. (And potatoes/sweet potatoes but that just because they decided to do that in my pantry) Do you guys regrow any of your food?Apples- http://www.ehow.com/how_2135774_grow-ap ... lTomatoes- http://www.ehow.com/how_5581958_grow-to ... toes/Sweet Potatoes- http://www.gardenguides.com/117543-plan ... .htmlGreen Onions- http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/how-to-g ... itely.html
     http://tipnut.com/nifty-food-plants/Leeks- same technique as green onionsCarrot Tops- http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/childre ... Pineapple- http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/P ... htmRomaine Lettuce- Same technique as celeryCabbage- Same technique as celeryCelery- http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/growing- ... tmlAvocado -http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/09/0 ... t/Lentils- http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/2009/02/ ... w-sprouts/

Pumpkin- http://pinterest.com/pin/98375573080950437/

Ginger- http://www.gardenswag.com/2011/12/5-foo ... en-scraps/

Garlic- http://www.gardenswag.com/2011/12/5-foo ... en-scraps/

Bonus: Bok Choy - http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/how-to-r ... -choy.html

SOURCE https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e=1&ref=nf

If you’re really interested in this kind of kitchen food experimentation, you’ll be happy to know about a great book on the subject called Grow it, Don’t Throw It!: 68 Windowsill Plants from Kitchen Scraps by Deborah Peterson. She walks you through all the specifics of growing 68 different things from your kitchen supplies. The book is packed with tons of helpful information!
     http://indianinthemachine.wordpress.com ... om-scraps/

Quote     Like      Share                   elmo         08 Dec 2012, 14:48 #274
     http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... nears.html

[size=75%]Mayan apocalypse: panic spreads as December 21 nears[/size]

6:42PM GMT 07 Dec 2012

Ahead of December 21, which marks the conclusion of the 5,125-year "Long Count" Mayan calendar, panic buying of candles and essentials has been reported in China and Russia, along with an explosion in sales of survival shelters in America. In France believers were preparing to converge on a mountain where they believe aliens will rescue them.

In America Ron Hubbard, a manufacturer of hi-tech underground survival shelters, has seen his business explode.

"We've gone from one a month to one a day," he said. "I don't have an opinion on the Mayan calendar but, when astrophysicists come to me, buy my shelters and tell me to be prepared for solar flares, radiation, EMPs (electromagnetic pulses) ... I'm going underground on the 19th and coming out on the 23rd. It's just in case anybody's right."

Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        02 Jan 2013, 22:39 #275
     It’s the Little Things That Matter: 100 Survival Items To Help Keep A Sense of Normality and Sanity After the Collapse
     Norse Prepper
     December 29th, 2012
     SHTFplan.com

“Enjoy the little things, for some day you may look back and realize they were the big things” – Robert Brault

Bullets…check. Beans…check. Band Aids…check. The list goes on and on sometimes doesn’t it? As preppers, we all are stockpiling the items and supplies that we plan on needing if and when it hits the fans. We all need to make sure we can eat, drink, protect ourselves from the elements and defend what needs to be defended. However, today I found myself thinking of things that weren’t on my “Need in order to survive” list. Little things that we all take for granted today, but someday, we may look back and think how simple it would have been to pick up a couple of those items when they are no longer on a store shelf near you.

Don’t get me wrong, the “Need in order to survive” list is far more important than this one because that is priority number one. But ask yourself, what is priority number two? I would call this the luxury list. These are things that people don’t necessarily need, but will help to keep a sense of normality and sanity when possibly cut off from our instantly able to be gratified society. Things like chocolate. Many preppers stock it because of its shelf life. I stock it because it will lift the spirits of those who will be close to me. It’s a little thing now with shelves stocked in the local big box, but one year after the collapse, it will be a big thing!!

If you have children, think about when their birthdays arrive. Can you imagine how great of a present it would be for them to get a chocolate bar, or a new dress, or a cap gun? Think of things that would make that day extra special to a beautiful seven year old birthday girl. Think of something that could be brought out and given to your husband or wife that would take their breath away that is taken for granted today. In a recent post, someone mentioned the empathy they had for the children that are going to be robbed of a fun filled youth if society turns brutal. I too think constantly of what can I do to help my kids still have a childhood that has days of fun instead of bullets, beans and band aids.

Here is a list of 100 things I thought of off the top of my head mixed with a little humor. Things that would add a brief moment of joy to the potentially dreary days ahead. Many of them have both luxury purposes as well as useful purposes with respect to survival mode, not to mention it would be something you could barter because these aren’t necessity. I would love to hear the ideas of others of things to add to the list.

Bible – This actually isn’t a luxury item, it’s a necessity in my book, but for some…
     Toilet paper – LOTS OF IT! Like my brother told me recently, before he would want to take a soiled rag and clean it by hand he would rather go Fido and ass drag himself across the lawn! Sorry for the language, but that’s funny! This would be on his survival list!
     Chocolate
     Crossword puzzles
     Rubix cube – This will provide adequate frustration to the survival group.
     A new outfit to store away for each kid for their next 10 birthdays. If next year’s birthday comes to pass without a collapse, you already have a present purchased!
     Board games – Lots of them
     Playing cards (both regular and pinochle)
     New pairs of shoes – Priceless in a SHTF scenario when the old ones wear out.
     Make up – Kids or womens…unless you are in California! (Sorry Mac!)
     Cap gun – This can also be very handy teaching the little ones to handle a sidearm.
     Magnifying glass – fun for kids, but can also start a fire.
     Boxes of color crayons
     Tablets/notebooks/construction paper
     A photo album (Make sure you print off whatever pictures you want to have access to!)
     Scrapbooking supplies
     A basketball/football/baseball with baseball mitts and bats
     Telescope – It’s fun to look up at the stars and moon when there aren’t the lights of the city to hide them. Get a star chart to pick out the constellations for your area of the globe.
     Pens/markers/pencils (don’t forget a pencil sharpener!)
     Books – kids/history/romance/survival/fiction/biography’s (check out local garage sales)
     Mountain House (or other) dehydrated ice cream.
     Tonka trucks or Matchbox cars
     Ipod touch preloaded with game apps, music, movies (You need to have the ability to recharge them)
     A globe – To describe to the next generation that the world isn’t really flat
     Dolls – Barbie or other
     A small mirror – Could be used for fun or for signaling
     Gloves – Working, gardening, warming…imagine 2 years in to get a new set of gloves?
     Bug catchers – Nets and the screened containers to put them in. Kids love it.
     Fishing equipment – Fun and can provide food.
     Long underwear – Watch the episode of M*A*S*H* where a pair of long underwear were being stolen and bartered across the compound to understand their value.
     Kites – If your mother in law moves in, wait until there is a storm and….nevermind. Kids love em!
     Musical instruments – harmonica, guitar, fiddle. Doesn’t matter if you don’t know how to play, you will have time to learn!
     Sheet music – Easier than trying to remember all of the words and chords!
     Puzzles
     Model cars/boats with model paint
     Wax and wicks to make candles. If you want, add colors and fragrances.
     Spices – I’m sure these are already on everyone’s list, but they are a luxury.
     Coffee – Again, this may seem necessary, but it is a luxury.
     Scissors and razors – for crafts, hair cutting, shaving. When the power runs out and everyone’s electric razor runs out of juice, a disposable razor will be great for barter.
     Sewing kit with material and a book on how to sew. Don’t forget a measuring tape and patterns for different sizes. When we all lose weight because the fast food joints are boarded up, the ability to hem and take in existing clothes will be quite handy.
     Rechargeable vacuum cleaner (assuming you have the ability to charge it). Carpet will become very dirty.
     Fresh sheets and blankets
     Dice
     Hammer, nails, saws, wood. Survival stuff I know, but have enough extra to make a tree fort (Listening post to the prepper)
     Short wave radio with rechargeable batteries. This could be important to get news from around the world as well as regionally, but imagine being able to turn on a radio instead of the dead silence.
     Plastic Easter eggs – An Easter egg hunt would be huge fun for the kids. Think of little toys/things to stuff in them.
     Sleds – If there is a hill and snow there is fun.
     Kid pool – Capture some rainwater in it and let the sun heat it up for some fun in the pool.
     Alcohol – I’m not talking for sterilizing a wound. I’m talking a glass of wine or the spirit of your choice to open on an anniversary or something. A few bottles of wine in the basement can make for a nice get away. Great barter item as well if you remember Selco’s story from surviving Sarajevo.
     Condoms – This goes well with #49 and let’s face it, an EMP isn’t going to stop this from being a very useful item! Great barter item as well.
     Joke books – Is there anything that can lift the spirit of a fellow more than a good laugh?
     Toothbrushes – Eventually yours will wear out. Have a lot of these on hand.
     Small cooler that can be plugged in to the solar power. I once took a trip by myself in to the boundary waters in northern Minnesota. Had a great time, caught lots of fish, did plenty of reading and hiking, but left two days early because the one thing I missed most was drinking something cold.
     Flower seeds – Nothing herbal or edible as those are survival seeds. These are for growing a few flowers to put on the table to add some color to what may be an otherwise gray world.
     Hankerchiefs – Tons of uses.
     Yard games – Horse shoes, yard darts…etc.
     Domino’s – Not the pizza!! There won’t be a lot of delivery going when SHTF! J
     Hard candy
     Dental floss
     Shoe laces – many applications with the main one being the ability to lace your shoes/boots.
     Fireworks – Can be used for fun as well as survival applications.
     Targets – If you have enough ammo to spare for target practice it is loads of fun. (Pun intended) I realize ammo will be at a premium, so will the ability to shoot it accurately.
     Wood carving tools – Great hobby, creates kindling and if you screw up, hide the evidence by heating your house.
     Pets – Great companions as well as security. Even a little yapper like my neighbor’s can save your life. Make sure your preps include food for them as well!
     Socks and underwear – Feet smell and socks get worn out. A new pair of socks will be a huge luxury. Shouldn’t have to tell you the benefits of fresh underwear.
     Solar charger with USB port – Apps on your mobile phones will still work, music, pictures and videos from the past not lost.
     Bow and arrows – Again, target practicing is fun and it is extremely useful for providing food. Make sure you have a lot of target arrows as well as your broadheads.
     Home schooling materials – educate your kids to be able to read and do math.
     Walkie talkies – Kids love playing with them (Don’t forget your rechargeable batteries)
     Food coloring – Purple rice tonight? Now the kids like it!
     Binoculars – It’s amazing how much fun looking at things closer can be. For example, people climb to the top of the Sears Tower so that they can look through binoculars at the ground where they just were. This is proof that it is really fun to look through them! (that might have been an old George Carlin joke…not sure)
     Yo yo’s, Slinkies, jacks, etch-a-sketch…think of the non battery operated toys of days past.
     Magazines – Get a subscription to your favorites and don’t throw them away. Ask friends and relatives if you can have theirs when they are done with them.
     Flash cards – You can get them on many different subjects from math to reading to picture recognition. You can use recipe cards to customize them to whatever you want.
     Christmas ornaments – If you celebrate Christmas, there is a lot of fun in decorating a tree. Ask your parents and grandparents if you can have a few of theirs. These end up being precious heirlooms and may remind you of stories to tell of Christmas past around a campfire.
     BB guns – Fun for the kids, cheap ammo and great for getting them used to handling a rifle. Can’t tell you how many hours of fun my old Daisy provided.
     Balloons – Nothing says birthday like a balloon. If you have young kids that can’t walk yet, but can roll over, put a red balloon on the floor and watch them go to work.
     Polaroid camera and film (don’t forget your rechargeable batteries!). Yes, they still exist and are available to buy on Ebay. You can capture a precious moment on film and it will print out the picture for you.
     Knitting supplies – Provides scarves, blankets to newborns and can be a good hobby.
     Written stories from grandparents and parents about their past to read to the group over a campfire.
     Ammo reloading supplies – It is a fun hobby to reload ammo and a useful skill to know. Saves money on ammo as well. This could also be a skill used for bartering for goods.
     Metal detector – If you have the ability to recharge the batteries it uses, it can be fun to go on a search for things buried from the past.
     Rakes for the leaf piles in the fall. If your mother in law moves in with you, cover a fire hydrant with a pile of leaves and….nevermind. The kids love jumping in them!!
     Skip ropes/hula hoops/frisbee’s
     Set of golf clubs and golf balls – Have chipping contests in the yard.
     Snorkels and fins if you live near a lake or the ocean. Grab a spear and you can even provide a shore lunch!
     Microscope – If seeing things close up from behind a set of binoculars isn’t fun enough, you wouldn’t believe how much fun it is for kids to look at some things through a microscope.
     Rope – Make a swing from a tree or a hundred other fun uses.
     Bird feeders with bird seed and bird houses. I’ve never gotten in to watching birds that much, but people love it.
     Sling shot – Give a sling shot and a few rocks to a 10 year old and they would be in heaven! When they get good enough, they may just put a rabbit in the kettle too. (Don’t forget plywood for over your windows!)
     Snowshoes – When there is 2’ of snow on the ground going for a nature walk or hunting trip will be much easier.
     Solar shower – A hot shower can make a world of difference and really lift spirits when everything is dirty.
     Hand held back massager – People are going to be working hard and using muscles that normally don’t get used too hard. This will lead to knots in muscles and back aches.
     Hand crank radio – If any local station is still broadcasting the ability to listen to local news or music will be critical.
     Reading glasses – Maybe you can see well now, but when you and others grow older, eventually a set of reading glasses will be a priceless gift.
     Sunglasses – Sunglasses get broken and scratched. A good pair of sunglasses can provide light protection as well as eye protection.
     Nintendo DS or other battery operated hand held games. Again, you need to have the ability to recharge the batteries.
     Skateboard, rollerblades or bikes
     Letters from loved ones – Just think, it’s 3 years after the collapse. Mom and dad in laws live in Florida and who knows if they are even alive. Ask them if they would write a personal letter to your wife or husband and kids telling them about themselves and how much they are loved. I can’t think of a greater present than a hand written letter to give on a birthday.
     Bible – All things including this list in my opinion should begin and end with God. His grace is truly the only thing that can really save us all.

With all of these remember to keep in mind safety first. Obviously if your neighborhood is surrounded by the golden hoard, don’t be having fun flying down local sledding hill shooting off bottle rockets. Everybody will be faced with different levels of security. Some in small towns may find themselves in relative security; others in the big city may not feel comfortable venturing out on their front door step.

more
     http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-prepa ... e_12292012

Quote     Like      Share                   elmo         02 Jan 2013, 22:50 #276
     When you really look at prepping as if theres no store tommorow
     and won't be ever again.
     You see how many things you need..how many things you need electricity for.

Then you realize its almost a hopeless situation.

Did you see Brad Meltzers last show about the gold in Ft Knox?

They pretty much concluded its gone.

They talked to several people who once worked there and all said it was gone.

The gov't won't allow ANYONE to see it or look in the vault.
     The last inventory was in '72.

They conclude if the news of it come out the economy would collapse.
     And there would be total collapse of American...if not global society.

So yeah...put bullets high up on yer list.
     :unsure:    Quote      Share                  Wahya   
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        04 Jan 2013, 17:28 #277

elmo,Jan 2 2013 wrote: When you really look at prepping as if theres no store tommorow
     and won't be ever again.

We lived without electricity, telephones, TV, internet, automobiles. airplanes, ipods, cellphones, and such for most of our history. The amish still do.

Hopeless? I hope it does collapse. Because without electricity and all the high tech gadgets, ye also won't have security cameras, surveillance drones, wiretaps...

Freedom! :viking:     Quote     Like      Share                   elmo         04 Jan 2013, 17:54 #278

Wahya,Jan 4 2013 wrote:
    elmo,Jan 2 2013 wrote: When you really look at prepping as if theres no store tommorow
     and won't be ever again.

We lived without electricity, telephones, TV, internet, automobiles. airplanes, ipods, cellphones, and such for most of our history. The amish still do.

Hopeless? I hope it does collapse. Because without electricity and all the high tech gadgets, ye also won't have security cameras, surveillance drones, wiretaps...

Freedom! :viking: I know you can live without many things...I have.
     When my maternal grandmother got cancer. My mother loaded up 4 kids and we went to Murphy.
     Her tin roofed house had very basic wiring. Mostly just a center light bulb in each room.
     It had no hot water...no indoor plumbing...just a well outside the kitchen.(Which went dry while we were there and we had to dig a spring out and carry water 350 yards thru the woods before school.) No bathroom or tub..My mother never learned to drive..we had no car. No radio.
     Just a small 13 in B&w tv that only got 2 stations...and not all the time.
     We had a wood stove trying to heat a heat an uninsulated house with cracks in the floor you could stick your finger thru.
     During the winter we had to bring the mattresses to the living room and huddle around the stove at night.
     It had another wooden cookstove in the kitchen to cook on. It did have a refrig.
     We lived there for a little over a year.

So I know what its like. But to take an entire nation used to everything and jerk the rug out from under them. :disbelief:
     With all the methicans and pissed off blacks. It will be total chaos.

And I just don't care to live like that now.

But I may not have a choice. :dunno:

wrote: Hopeless? I hope it does collapse. Because without electricity and all the high tech gadgets, ye also won't have security cameras, surveillance drones, wiretaps...

Freedom! 
    :viking: That part I wouldn't miss. Every new gadget invented gets looked at by the gov at how they can use it against us.

Quote      Share                  Wahya   
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        04 Jan 2013, 18:08 #279

elmo,Jan 4 2013 wrote:
     I know you can live without many things...I have.
     When my maternal grandmother got cancer. My mother loaded up 4 kids and we went to Murphy.

:clap: Murphy NC I know the area :cheers:

wrote:So I know what its like. But to take an entire nation used to everything and jerk the rug out from under them.
     With all the methicans and pissed off blacks. It will be total chaos. I thoroughly look forward to it :viking:

Quote     Like      Share                   elmo         04 Jan 2013, 18:19 #280

Wahya,Jan 4 2013 wrote:
    elmo,Jan 4 2013 wrote:
     I know you can live without many things...I have.

:clap: Murphy NC I know the area :cheers:

wrote:So I know what its like. But to take an entire nation used to everything and jerk the rug out from under them.
     With all the methicans and pissed off blacks. It will be total chaos. I thoroughly look forward to it :viking: :cheers:
     Murphy had good hunting. If it came to a survival situation.
     If its still like it was would be the place to go.
     Harsh winters though...((((shivers))))

:unsure:

wrote: I thoroughly look forward to it
    :viking: I was more like you 15-20 yr ago.
     Time has a way of whupping your ass.

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: Sep 03, 2018    06:55:53 PM »
  •           elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        10 Jan 2013, 22:14 #281
     Don't know if you should prep?

Watch the movie "Contagion".

Its on HBO now.

:damned: Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
     And I'm bound to keep on riding
     And I've got one more silver dollar
     But I'm not gonna let them catch me,
     no...not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider
        Quote     Like      Share                  MagicHands   
    Posts 1,102
      Chat-aholic
    Chat-aholic        14 Jan 2013, 16:01 #282
     1881 Household Cyclopedia

http://www.ruralsurvival.info/downloads ... opedia.pdf
      Living it up at the Hotel California!

*Overdosing on the Red Pill*    Quote     Like      Share                  Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        19 Mar 2013, 01:45 #283
     Awesome link, Michele.

Who knew :dunno:

Growing potatoes in straw
     By Habeeb Salloum
     Issue #100 • July/August, 2006

Virtually unknown to people in other parts of the world, the inhabitants in the Northern European countries have for hundreds of years grown potatoes above ground in straw or other mulching material. It is a method of growing potatoes that works. Little effort is needed to grow flourishing potato crops in this unusual manner. Amongst those who plant potatoes in straw or mulch there is a saying that goes, "even a couch potato can grow a good potato crop with very little work."

In the vegetable world, there are few that yield more than the potato crop, and this is even increased when potatoes are planted in straw. By using straw mixed with a bit of rich soil or manure, it is easy to grow a bountiful crop in a limited space. It is a great way to grow potatoes for those who live in urban centers where space and cultivatable land are usually hard to find.

The planting and harvesting of potatoes planted in straw or mulch is a simple matter. There are numerous ways of growing a crop in this fashion. The following is one of the simpler methods.

Vegetation should first be cleared from the area where the potatoes are to be grown. Place the seed potatoes—always make sure that you use certified seed potatoes—directly on the ground and cover them with a 50/50 blend of straw with old manure 12'' deep, then soak with water. The tubers will form in this mixture and flourish. As the potatoes grow, keep adding, a little at a time, the straw with old manure mix mounded up around the base of the plants. Keep the mix watered regularly. Mounding up is important, since if the tubers are exposed to sunlight, they will turn green, making them toxic.

When potatoes are planted in straw, there are very few weeds. The few that appear are easily removable. The straw holds the moisture, so less water is needed. The beauty of growing potatoes under a straw mat is that the guesswork is taken out of the growing, and harvesting becomes considerably easier.

The corner of the straw can be lifted carefully and one can see how the potatoes are developing. New potatoes can be harvested easily even before the potato vines mature completely. When the potatoes are ready to harvest, one can simply pull back the straw and remove by hand as many potatoes as needed, then replace the straw properly in order to keep the light off any remaining potatoes. You may harvest this way a number of times. The plant will produce more and more potatoes until the vine dies.

Growing and harvesting in this fashion is a great method of cultivating potatoes. It is much cleaner and simpler than planting them in the ground and having to dig them out. As the saying goes, "It's easy picking rather than digging."
     http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/salloum100.html

Quote     Like      Share                  Hoss the SURVIVER   
    Posts 6,266
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        20 Mar 2013, 05:46 #284
     HI ALL

:xcited: :hoss:

Yup it is Hoss dee

Islamic swine that is

Sheep can be dangerous
     BLEET BAAAABAAAHH ? SNAP

Oil' be BACK still have imageshack GRANNY GEEFAW    Quote     Like      Share                  Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        16 Apr 2013, 23:16 #285
     A must have for your B.O.B.: Tampons.

All kind of survival uses.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/06/0 ... al-tampon/

Quote     Like      Share                  Herb   
    Posts 26,216
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        22 Jul 2013, 13:55 #286
     There's a Mutts for everything:

Quote     Like      Share                  elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        18 Aug 2013, 22:33 #287
     Bush's baked beans. Get thee some.

I last week found a can dated 2002. I started to throw them away.
     But thought...lets have a look and see how bad the can has deterioated.

I opened it...the can had a white coating on the inside. The vacuum was still there.
     No sign of anything wrong.

So I thought..heat it up and taste it.

So I did.

Tasted like I bought it last week.

Made some coleslaw...some fries and had some hush puppies.

No ill effects. Very tasty.

So I know they will last at least 11 years and you cain't hardly beat that for
     something cheap..already cooked...and can be eaten cool or heated in its own can
     as a survival food.

Plus its a complex carb..so it keeps you from being hungry a long time.
     And it has lots of fiber.

As I sayed...Get thee some.
     I'm gonna get a couple cases from Sam's club. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        21 Oct 2013, 21:13 #288
     www.emgear.com

They have all kinds of goodies. :ninja:     Quote     Like      Share                  Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        25 Oct 2013, 23:30 #289
     17 Great Ways to Utilize 2-Liter Soda Bottles for Survival

http://readynutrition.com/resources/17- ... _01102013/

Good site!

Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        28 Nov 2013, 15:40 #290
     Don't know why...but I keep feeling like alum foil would make a handy prep.
     I've bought several boxes of reg and HD.

:dunno: Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Sep 03, 2018    06:56:49 PM »
  •           MagicHands   
    Posts 1,102
      Chat-aholic
    Chat-aholic        02 Dec 2013, 22:22 #291
     Medical kit for Under $50.00

Patriot Nurse> Living it up at the Hotel California!

*Overdosing on the Red Pill*    Quote     Like      Share                   oldmanmike   
    Posts 11,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        03 Dec 2013, 09:25 #292

MagicHands,Dec 2 2013 wrote: Medical kit for Under $50.00

Patriot Nurse> I didn't expect the cider vinegar. I guess it's a female thing.

There was no adhesive tape, just the junky clear tape the hospitals use. The band aids she recommended don't work either, use tough strips. Band aids, 4x4s, peroxide, Neosporin and tape are the basics, every thing else is fine-tuning to personal taste. "History becomes legend,
     Legend fades into myth
     Myth is forgotten and denied
     Until history repeats itself"
    Posts 1,102
      Chat-aholic
    Chat-aholic        03 Dec 2013, 19:40 #293
     Dear Mike:

I tried to post a response earlier: and Poof-- it was gone. I had stuff to do,
     so here I am again, let's see how this goes?

ACV-- gender Neutral I think. What is it good for?

14 - What, exactly, are the internal and external benefits attributed to ACV?

Following the old cliché, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away," apples are one of the oldest, most nutritious foods on earth. They are rich in potassium, a mineral many of us are deficient in, and a deficiency that causes old age to creep upon us sooner. Calcium maintains our hard tissues such as bones, and potassium is the equivalent to the body’s soft tissues, keeping the body’s flesh and arteries soft and resilient. Fresh, organic apples are used to make Apple Cider Vinegar, which contains necessary ingredients, such as enzymes, and life-stimulating minerals, mainly potassium, in a natural state. Besides being a natural stimulant for vitality, Apple Cider Vinegar cleanses and restores nutrients to the body so that the body can heal itself. [BACK]

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: Helps Remove Body Toxins * Helps Promote a Youthful Body *Helps support a healthy immune system * Helps Maintain Healthy Skin * Helps Control Weight * Improves Digestion and Assimilation * Soothes Tight and Aching Joints and Sore Muscles from exercise * Soothes irritated skin. [BACK]

Okay, in plain speak-- good for tummy troubles, maintain healthy ph balance, help reduce kidney stones, gallstone, and arthritis, and are good to cure toe nail fungus. (ewww, but true)

As far as the cheesiness of the tape, I think the point was to make a very basic, covers most scenarios for a very cheap price.

I would include, hemostats, scalpel, suture kits, emergency dental repair kit,aloe for burns, splints, super glue, and lidocaine. But, that's just me and Dan! :hehe: :hi: :hugs:

Michele Living it up at the Hotel California!

*Overdosing on the Red Pill*    Quote     Like      Share                  oldmanmike   
    Posts 11,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        03 Dec 2013, 22:19 #294

MagicHands,Dec 3 2013 wrote: Okay, in plain speak-- good for tummy troubles, maintain healthy ph balance, help reduce kidney stones, gallstone, and arthritis, and are good to cure toe nail fungus. (ewww, but true)

I'll remember that - even thought apple juice pains my stomach. "History becomes legend,
     Legend fades into myth
     Myth is forgotten and denied
     Until history repeats itself"
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        13 Dec 2013, 14:57 #295
     NONE of the home remedies work for gallstones.
     Trust me on this...I tried them all.

Wanna see my scar?

I just ordered and recieved a 7 watt solar panel battery charger for 20 bucks on sale at Northern Tools.

Its going into my trashcan faraday cage along with 2 small radios and a couple LED flashlights. And the control panel off of my generator.

I hope I never need any of it. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        14 Dec 2013, 11:34 #296

elmo,Nov 28 2013 wrote: Don't know why...but I keep feeling like alum foil would make a handy prep.

:dunno: Ye can use it to make a faraday cage :clap:     Quote     Like      Share                  elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        14 Dec 2013, 13:25 #297

Wahya,Dec 14 2013 wrote:
    elmo,Nov 28 2013 wrote: Don't know why...but I keep feeling like alum foil would make a handy prep.

:dunno: Ye can use it to make a faraday cage :clap: :) Yep.

Seems like a good prep item to me. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        25 Apr 2014, 21:42 #298
     .Printable Radio Frequency Communication List For Emergencies...

http://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/06 ... ency-list/

Quote     Like      Share                   Charlie the Tuna         12 May 2014, 17:04 #299

http://www.ddponline.org/08-powerpoint/08-mihelic.pdf

66 pages downloadable

Medical Considerations in a
     Nuclear Attack
     Matt Mihelic, M.D.
     University of Tennessee
     Graduate School of Medicine
     July 13, 2008

“In the event of attack, the lives of
     those families which are not hit in the
     nuclear blast and fire can still be
     saved if they can be warned to take
     shelter and if that shelter is available.
     We owe that kind of insurance to our
     families and to our country.”
     President John F. Kennedy
     July 25, 1961    Quote      Share                  elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        18 May 2014, 22:25 #300
     If anyone ever watched Naked and Afraid...then you know fire and heating water are 2 of their greatest challenges.

So I bought a camp style cast iron 8 qt. Dutch oven with legs.
     I saw a rancher using one a year back and was impressed with them.
     The legs keep it level with sitting on coals...and the lid is dished so you can add coals to the lid to increase heat and or cooking speed.

They are $57 at Amazon-free ship...and $32 at Sportsman Guide + $8.99 S&h.
     But I got it free ship this weekend.

I'll probably never use it...bu if ye go camping or :end: happen.
     It'll be something to cook with.

And I already have matches.
     :) Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: Sep 03, 2018    06:59:25 PM »
  •           Wahya   
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        20 May 2014, 00:03 #301
     http://www.machetespecialists.com

Nobody should be without a good machete. This is THE multipurpose survival tool for most of the world's population.

Even without the apocalypse, they're good to have for clearing brush, garden and orchard work, and the shorter ones make for a decent butcher knife.

I usually keep a British-made Martindale "Paratrooper" short machete with me on the canoe in case I need to clear a nice spot on the riverbank for fishing.

This site has some of the best prices I've found online, and they also carry sickles, scythes and billhooks too.     Quote     Like      Share                  elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        27 Aug 2014, 22:23 #302
     I have 2 now. Budget types but still useable.
     I think a shorter one would be more ideal for most situations.

I'm gonna look yours up and check yer site out.

Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        27 Aug 2014, 22:27 #303
     Been watching those Naked and Afraid survival shows.
     Not much to learn except water everywhere seems to give you
     the squirts...so it needs to be boiled. Unless its a spring.

And the importance of fire making tools. A good mag glass seems like
     a good one to me.

Another thing is soap...these people take daily baths for the most part. But without soap. They come out of the water still dirty.

I think I will add a bunch of bar soap to my preps.
     :unsure: Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 6,236
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        16 Sep 2014, 21:56 #304
     http://www.shtfpreparedness.com/how-to- ... y-of-food/

One Year Supply For 1 Adult
     Mormon Food Storage

This list is a guideline for storing the bare minimum. The picture below shows you how much food you’ll get to eat everyday if you follow this guideline. And this is all you’ll get to eat. That is why I call it survival rations. You will stay alive, but eating probably won’t still be your favorite pastime.

You get 1 cup Wheat, 1 cup Oatmeal, 1/2 cup Rice, 1/3 cup beans, 2 Tbs Oil, 1 glass Milk (2 T powdered milk), 1/3 cup honey, and 2 tsp salt per day. Your daily menu might look something like this:

Breakfast: Hot oatmeal with honey & milk
     Lunch: Tortillas and Sprouted Wheat
     Dinner: Rice and Beans

With that said, whole grains are still the foundation of your food storage. You can use them in almost everything you cook. These are the dollar stretcher foods. I can feed my family of 12, breakfast every day for a month on one 50-pound bag of oatmeal (costs about $20). Add peaches, milk, and honey for taste, and you have a nutritious breakfast that children love. A one year supply for 1 adult should include: 400 lbs of Grain, 60 lbs of Legumes, 16 lbs of Powdered Milk, 10 Qts of Oil, 60 lbs of Sugar or Honey, and 8 lbs of Salt.The shelf life on these items is included in the chart below.

The chart shows how much it costs for a one-year supply for 1 adult. Adjust it to your individual needs. For example: rice and oats are a lot easier on a child’s digestive system compared to wheat. Store more of these grains for the children.

See Bulk Food Storage Containers to learn how to store your bulk food.

NOTE: You don’t want to start using wheat when that is all you have to eat. It will be hard on your system. Slowly add it to your diet, my family has been eating wheat for years and we don’t have any problems with a whole-wheat diet. Even my babies eat wheat and do great.

:ks: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."    Quote     Like      Share                  KnightStar   
    Posts 6,236
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        16 Sep 2014, 22:06 #305
     The DIY Disaster Preparation Bucket

This emergency kit comes from AlfredoEinsteino on Reddit – who we will call AE - and is published with his permission. At the end of this post is a list of every single item you see here so you can make this exact emergency kit for yourself.
      Keep in mind that this kit is one person’s collection of items that work best for him. It’s the right kit for AE but may not yet be the perfect kit for you. You should always tailor your emergency kit around what’s likely in your area and your family’s needs.

Organizing the 5 Gallon Emergency Kit

AE has divided his emergency kit into a few broad categories to keep his supplies organized and well rounded:

General Supplies
     Hygiene Supplies
     First Aid Kit

Every item is listed in detail in a printed contents document. On the back is a list of important phone numbers such as relatives, insurance companies, local law enforcement, fire department, etc.

Did you catch the line second from the top? It’s the most important detail on the loadout document – the date. This helps you remember when the bucket was put together so you can keep track of all your expiration dates. A good emergency kit can easily last 5 years or more, but not everything inside will be good for that long and may need to be replaced periodically. Again, the EpiPen example – they only last about 20 months from the day they are made. Replacing an expired EpiPen could be a life or death matter!

Shopping List: 5 Gallon Emergency Kit

The rest of this article will be a list of the contents of the bucket. You can download this list in an editable Word format by clicking here: 5 Gallon Bucket Emergency Kit It may be instructive to compare this list with the much higher calorie emergency kit from Mayday disaster preparation company. Humans usually need at least 2,000 calories every single day – which adds up really fast. Depending on your anticipated needs, you may want one or several food-geared buckets in addition to your emergency supply kit. I’ve linked some of the more unusual items that you might not find at your neighborhood hardware store.

General Supplies

glow sticks (12 hrs)
     flashlight
     liquid candle
     matchbooks
     mylar thermal blankets
     hand warmers
     AM/FM radio
     whistle and lanyard
     sewing kit
     blank notebook
     pencils
     extra batteries (for flashlight and radio)
     zip ties
     P-38 can opener
     trash bags
     N95 dust masks
     duct tape
     small tarp
     paracord
     safety goggles
     split leather gloves

Hygiene Supplies

Hygiene supplies are packaged inside their own separate bag. These basic supplies should look familiar – it’s similar to a toiletries bag you might take on vacation.
     bar soap
     kleenex
     floss
     baby shampoo
     hand lotion
     sunscreen
     toothpaste
     toothbrushes
     feminine hygiene pads
     comb
     toilet paper
     washcloths

First Aid Kit

The first aid box is packaged with a list of contents taped to the inside of the lid. Moist towelettes and antiseptic towelettes and latex gloves kept on top so you can clean your hands before digging through supplies.

basic first-aid guide
     moist towelettes
     antiseptic towelettes
     latex gloves
     acetaminophen (Tylenol)
     ibuprofen (Advil)
     aspirin
     diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
     loperamide (Imodium A-D)
     burn cream
     sting relief towelettes
     hydrocortisone cream
     triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin)
     cough drops
     earplugs
     instant ice pack
     tweezers
     nail clippers
     scissors
     digital thermometer
     cotton balls
     waterproof adhesive tape
     gauze rolls
     gauze pads
     moleskin
     band-aids
     butterfly bandages
     ace bandage
     triangular bandage
     hand sanitizer
     Q-tips
     petroleum jelly
     RAD sticker (personal radiation dosimeter)
     potassium iodide (radiation emergency thyroid blocker)

Additional Items Suggested by You

These pieces of kit weren’t included in the example bucket build above but are listed here by popular demand. (links will open in a new browser tab)

Lifestraw ultracompact Water Filter
     24-inch Pocket Chainsaw
     3600 calorie ration bars with 5 year shelf life
     4-in-1 Emergency Gas & Water Shutoff Tool
     12,000 Strike Firestarter and whistle
     Hand-crank Flashlight
     Everstryke Match (15000 uses)
     Foldable Drybags
     Foldable credit card knife

http://fivegallonideas.com/emergency-kit/

:ks: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."    Quote     Like      Share                   Charlie the Tuna         21 Sep 2014, 15:23 #306
     Thanks KN for that supply list.

Also along the same lines med wise here is a free e-book that is being offered again today (only?).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6CH476/ref ... le_ext_tmb

The Prepper Pages: A Surgeon's Guide to Scavenging Items for a Medical Kit, and Putting Them to Use While on the Move [Kindle Edition]
     Ryan Chamberlin (Author)
     4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (35 customer reviews)
     Digital List Price: $6.99 What's this?
     Print List Price: $16.95
     Kindle Price: $0.00
     You Save: $16.95 (100%)

Publication Date: January 29, 2014
     Whether you're buying items to build a comprehensive medical kit, or have found yourself in a disaster without one, this book will teach you exactly what you need to do.

Written by a Trauma Surgeon, The Prepper Pages describes the most practical and effective treatments for injuries and illnesses encountered within the chaos of disasters. It is not a book about how to stabilize injuries until help arrives. It's a book about how to treat conditions definitively, assuming that help will never arrive.

Quote      Share                  KnightStar   
    Posts 6,236
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        24 Sep 2014, 17:17 #307
     The Grey Man

The Grey Man is always invisible in plain sight.

The Grey Man is totally aware of his environs, his own capabilities or lack thereof, his weaponry and his levels of competence with that weaponry. He constantly strives to improve upon both his capabilities and competence. In public, he is always respectful, even to the point of obsequiousness if the situation calls for it. He always appears to be just a little confused by what is happening around him, while in reality he is alertly doing a tactical assessment.

The Grey Man NEVER draws attention to himself by word, dress, action, or mannerism. The Young Grey Man is dismissed as a wimp, the Older as a doddering old fool. The Grey Man derives great inner satisfaction from having this portrayal of himself accepted by all he meets, for it means he is succeeding in his disguise of his actual persona.

The Grey Man is a private man. He practices with his weaponry in private, or only with his fellow Grey Men, always in a secluded location. If he must resort to use of a public facility, he schedules his practice for times when he is likely to be the only one there. At such times he would probably wear bright clothing, to be remembered only as ‘that guy in the red jacket and sunglasses’, a quite different person from his usual persona. If right-handed, he would always occupy the leftmost station on a NRA bullseye pistol range, with his back to an observer, or the rightmost one for riflery or combat pistol practice. He would not have his name emblazoned on clothing or equipment, nor would he have any noteworthy affiliation proclaimed on his cap. “He’s just a guy. Comes every Wednesday morning for his coffeebreak. Always pays cash.”

The Grey Man does not drive a pink Cadillac with steer horns on the hood, NOR does he drive the biggest mutherin’ 4X4-with-all-the-bells-and-whistles BOV in the lot. The older his vehicle is, the rustier, the less likely it is to draw attention (or to be stolen, for that matter). This vehicle is, under its exterior, scrupulously maintained and in excellent running order. If pulled over by authority on the basis of appearance, it can be shown to meet or exceed all requirements under licensing laws, and an obsequious co-operative manner precludes a search under the seats. The Grey Man does not speed on the highway: cruise control is his friend. So is the Highway Patrol: he waves to any he sees. If he travels the same route constantly, at the same times, The Grey Man becomes a ‘fixture’ and can be dismissed from conscious observation.

It helps the Survivor to build up this persona of The Grey Man gradually and over time. The anti-gun sheeple neighbors will quickly rat out the ‘Patriot’ who is always loudly declaiming about his ‘Rights’ and ‘what will happen if they try to take my guns’. The Grey Man goes far out of his way never to offend anyone, imitating the duck which appears calm on the surface of his pond whilst paddling like hell under the surface.

Be seen as conservative in all you do. A Survivor is a Grey Man, and that little old grey man alone over there in the corner is probably a Survivor!

And that young guy next to him? Just another wimp? Or are they both watching each other’s backs?

Making the other guy waste precious time in assessing the situation is a big part of staying alive. Practice being grey now, while there's time to build your skills.

:ks: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."    Quote     Like      Share                  Sadie   
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        07 Oct 2014, 22:09 #308
     Good article KS.

Here is one that is really easy to do.

But, first, regarding the picture, what kind of container is that?
     How much heat would this gel fuel give off and is gel fuel just
     a fancy word for candle or is it different? And, what is the gel
     fuel container sitting on? Cause that is neat and I would like to make
     one of those containers.

How to Make 'GEL FUEL' at Home for Survival- So Easy!!!

Posted By: Susoni [Send E-Mail]
     Date: Tuesday, 7-Oct-2014 12:58:18

Line a container with reflective tiles and you have a room heater, too.

Susoni

Gel fuel is a relative newcomer to the portable fuel scene and is making quite a splash, mainly because if you knock it over, it DOESN’T make a splash. It’s safer to use than regular fuel because it won’t spill out and cause a fuel fire, and it doesn’t produce any noxious gases if burned inside with no ventilation, which makes it an excellent tool for survival.

So let’s see how to make gel fuel at home for your stockpile.

There are a couple of different ways to make gel fuel at home and both are just a matter of preference. Regardless of which way you choose, the primary incendiary component is 90% isopropyl alcohol, aka rubbing alcohol. The other component, the gelling agent, is either soy wax or calcium acetate.

The debate about which is better is basically the same as that over chocolate or vanilla: it’s just a matter of which you prefer.

How to Make Gel Fuel with Soy Wax

If you choose to use the soy wax, just follow some simply steps:

Melt 6 ounces of soy wax in a pan.

Add 1/2 cup 70-99% isopropyl alcohol (higher percentage is better if you can find it) and stir until completely combined.

Pour the mixture into 6 soup cans or pet food cans until they’re about 3/4 of the way full then add a wick that goes to the bottom of the gel fuel.

Cool in the fridge for several hours or overnight, and then it’s ready to use.

If you’d rather store in quantity, you can put it in gallon jugs. Just make sure that you label it well so that nobody mistakes it for water or something else and store it away from children and pets.

more
     http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/fo ... ?read=1113

Posts 1,102
      Chat-aholic
    Chat-aholic        15 Oct 2014, 10:26 #309
     How to build a 30 day emergency food supply. (In a hurry)

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/how-to-b ... ast_102014 Living it up at the Hotel California!

*Overdosing on the Red Pill*    Quote     Like      Share                  MagicHands   
    Posts 1,102
      Chat-aholic
    Chat-aholic        15 Oct 2014, 10:52 #310
     http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/how-to- ... s-10102014

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/getting ... 3-09282014

There are some other good, common-sense articles at her site. :hi:

Living it up at the Hotel California!

*Overdosing on the Red Pill*

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: Sep 03, 2018    07:02:10 PM »
  •            Charlie the Tuna         08 Feb 2015, 20:51 #311
     A 1970's Canadian civil defense publication of 32 pages on line with all the illustrations. Seems to be better to me in a number of areas than the ones of that size that the US ones put out in that first cold war era.

http://www.modernsurvivalonline.com/Fil ... rvival.pdf

11 Steps to Survival
     Canada Emergency Measures Organization
     Department of National Defence    Quote      Share                    Charlie the Tuna         06 Mar 2015, 18:57 #312
     Way moar elaborate than other such ones I have seen online in past years. Important for any who plan to find shelter in case of such major unpleasantness.

Nuclear Weapon Simulator

Drag the marker to wherever you'd like to target.

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/    Quote      Share                  elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        16 Jul 2015, 20:33 #313
     Time to seriously prep...just in case.

I'm getting this week 50lb of cane sugar...10 lb of baking soda which has several uses.
     About 20lb of iodized salt....and 50lb of rice. Couple dozen koolaid packs and several packages of tea.

All of that will keep a looooong time. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        17 Jul 2015, 17:26 #314

elmo,Jul 16 2015 wrote: Time to seriously prep...just in case.

I'm getting this week 50lb of cane sugar...10 lb of baking soda which has several uses.
     About 20lb of iodized salt....and 50lb of rice. Couple dozen koolaid packs and several packages of tea.

All of that will keep a looooong time.
    Folks, don't forget to get new shoes/boots now if ye expect doom in September.

Ye want to have good, durable, comfy footwear for the apopaplypse.

Get 'em now so ye can have em broke in when the Timez End.     Quote     Like      Share                  elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        19 Jul 2015, 19:45 #315
     Agreed...I has 2 pair put up.

Thermal underwear..extra blankets...Advil...and propane are all good prep items. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        19 Jul 2015, 19:58 #316

Charlie the Tuna,Mar 6 2015 wrote: Way moar elaborate than other such ones I have seen online in past years. Important for any who plan to find shelter in case of such major unpleasantness.

Nuclear Weapon Simulator

Drag the marker to wherever you'd like to target.

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ Under the 'preset" which one would most likely be
     like ones the Russians would use?

Quote     Like      Share                   Charlie the Tuna         02 Aug 2015, 15:13 #317
     "Under the 'preset" which one would most likely be
     like ones the Russians would use?"

My guess would be in the 500 to 800 mt range with most of them being air busts meaning moar blast damage then ground busts BUT also little fallout. They are joining the "fashion" trend of adopting smaller MIRVed (multi war-headed) rockets.

Using ground busts in that range or higher (up to 5 mg.) for hard targets like under ground bunkers and missile silos. Much moar fallout.

If nuke plants are hit like the old Soviets planned. An extreme amount of longer lasting fallout would be produced. Meaning no growing eatable crops or much outdoor activity in an area for a generation or two.

If weapons are "salted" up with radiative materials such as cobalt like in that one old Planet of the Apes movie no outside stuff where the heavy dust comes down for many generations.

If I was a novelizing - First someone uses tactical ones to promote their conventional weapons use or to stop the very successful use of the others guys forces.

Everyone then puts their strategic forces on high alert.

Someone decides a fatal line has been crossed.

Subs launch their goodies. EMP blasts out in space. Ground missiles and anti-missile missiles are launched. Allies get into the act.

Maybe civilian populations get a little warning beforehand to head to shelter. But of course the US general population does not have public ones anymoar.

The different sides holds back some nukes for a possible 2nd strike occurring hours or days or weeks later. And at last surviving big shots decide to use any of their possible doomsday (cobalt) weapons). Otherwise when safe they sent their remaining loyal security forces out to draft the remaining civilian population into reconstruction labor battalions.

A fancy writer would add such touches as the hitting of the Yellowstone Caldera, viruses, etc..

War vs. Mozart

Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        02 Aug 2015, 20:08 #318

wrote:A fancy writer would add such touches as the hitting of the Yellowstone Caldera, viruses, etc..
    What a lovely thought. :doh:

Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        12 Aug 2015, 17:51 #319
     Lifestraw(tm) filters about 250 gallons of water to drink.

Strong twine
     Couple Boxes
     of matches in a plastic bag

A good sharp hunting type knife..or hatchet..or both.

skeeter spray

sheet of plastic

Large garbage bags

A med sized stainless steel pot

A tube of Neosporin

A tube of superglue.

A Ruger 10/22 and several hundreds shells

Things that I have seen that would be damn useful in an emergency situation. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        12 Aug 2015, 19:40 #320

elmo,Aug 12 2015 wrote:

The combination I'm using the most lately is my spike tomahawk
     and ESEE-4. I must be getting old because I'm just not into big
     honkin' knives that much anymore. That 4.5" blade is very handy,
     quite portable, and it doesn't scare sheeple so much.

Don't forget to stock up on Bic lighters.

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Sep 03, 2018    07:03:17 PM »
  •           elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        12 Aug 2015, 20:21 #321

Wahya,Aug 12 2015 wrote:
    elmo,Aug 12 2015 wrote:

The combination I'm using the most lately is my spike tomahawk
     and ESEE-4. I must be getting old because I'm just not into big
     honkin' knives that much anymore. That 4.5" blade is very handy,
     quite portable, and it doesn't scare sheeple so much.

Don't forget to stock up on Bic lighters.

That is a handsome knife..and not cheap either.

I bought a Cold Steel Kabar handled tanto blade knife.
     Its kinda big..big enuff for light hacking on limbs.
     Wouldn't be too good as a game cleaner though.

I always carry a 3 bladed Trapper knife that would go along with it.

I put up some BIC lighters...they are a great tool..but don't last all that long in storage.
     I had a 4 pack and all leaked empty in less that 2 yrs. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
        Quote     Like      Share                   Wahya   
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        12 Aug 2015, 20:57 #322
     Another useful thing to have a good magnifying glass.

Not just for looking at wee details, but it can also be
     used for making fire, weather permitting.     Quote     Like      Share                  elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        13 Aug 2015, 12:08 #323

Wahya,Aug 12 2015 wrote: Another useful thing to have a good magnifying glass.

Not just for looking at wee details, but it can also be
     used for making fire, weather permitting.
    Thats what I don't understand about all those survival shows.
     They bring along shitty little 'firestarters' that don't work.
     But none ever bring a mag glass. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        23 Aug 2015, 12:05 #324
     Honey....keeps forever...good sweetner and good for you.

Sam's has 5 lb jars for 16 bucks. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        28 Aug 2015, 18:36 #325
     Water.

https://jvwcd.org/water/emergency Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        29 Sep 2015, 21:41 #326
     Not sure where to put this so I thought it might go here.

This person makes a lot of claims about these leaves.

But, I'm sure it can't hurt to try.

GODS’ Cure Written in the Bible: This Powerful and 3.500 Years Old Remedy, Cures all Diseases!

The Riddler 09:00 Stay Healthy
     Tea of olive leaves may help in healing pneumonia, gonorrhea, tuberculosis, influenza, meningitis, hepatitis B, herpes…

In the Bible the olive tree is mentioned more than a thousand times. Although today’s most popular are olives, but many people do not know that the olive leaves also have a lot of healing properties and the most important compound in olive leaf is oleuropein, which has a very strong anti-bacterial property.

The olive leaf improves the health condition in a lot of diseases which are caused by microbes. It also helps with flu, meningitis, hepatitis B, pneumonia, gonorrhea and herpes.

It also helps with surgical, as well as in urinary tract infections. Olive leaves prevents infection caused by fungi.

Tea of olive leaves may help in the healing of these diseases: pneumonia, gonorrhea, tuberculosis, influenza, meningitis, hepatitis B, herpes, chronic fatigue syndrome, atherosclerosis, botulism, malaria, stomach ulcers, diphtheria, urinary tract infections and encephalitis.

Consumption of olive leaf helps to restore the entire immune system, but also serves to restore energy in the tortured body, for example after chemotherapy. Olive leaves are very healing because they have antiviral, ant parasitic, antibacterial and anti-fungal activities through which it is possible to completely get over a large number of diseases.

Recipe:

You will need 15-20 dried olive leaves for a cup of tea (2-3dl). Put the olive leaves into boiled water and cook them for 2-3 minutes. Leave the leaves to stay in the water for 10 minutes and remove them. You can drink the tea cold or warm; you can add honey or lemon. It is up to your taste. Tea should be drunk every day to feel the improvement of different diseases.

The tea is recommended to drink preventive. It is the best to harvest the leaves in the spring. Store in a closed container, protected of the sunlight.

Source: cuisineandhealth.com
     - See more at: http://www.thebigriddle.com/2015/09/god ... z39wr.dpuf

Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        30 Sep 2015, 15:24 #327
     They sell olive leaf extract...I gave it to my mother.

Food stretcher idea. I saw this when looking for rice recipes.
     Take a leftover cup of rice put in frying pan..add in a tbsp or so of butter.

Fry a few minutes.

Mix 3 eggs and pour in and scramble as usual. The rice takes on the taste of the eggs. No bad at all. The only way you really know that rice is in them is the texture.

You could feed twice as many. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        04 Oct 2015, 00:32 #328
     That's basically fried rice with extra egg added to it.
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        04 Oct 2015, 16:13 #329

Wahya,Oct 3 2015 wrote: That's basically fried rice with extra egg added to it.
    But it looks and tastes just like scrambled eggs. :)

Speaking of Chinese..I never liked egg drop soup.
     :( Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        04 Oct 2015, 22:45 #330

elmo,Oct 4 2015 wrote:
    Wahya,Oct 3 2015 wrote: That's basically fried rice with extra egg added to it.
    But it looks and tastes just like scrambled eggs.
    :)

Speaking of Chinese..I never liked egg drop soup.
     :( I love Egg Drop soup.

check this out

http://www.goodshomedesign.com/portable ... iny-homes/

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: Sep 03, 2018    07:04:26 PM »
  •           elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        05 Oct 2015, 16:43 #331
     Thats a neat take with stove...be great for a tent.

I've been wanting to build a woodstove for a long time. But they are a bear to move. My current stove weighs about 500 lbs.
     Moving it 22 years ago was bad...I don't think I could do it now.
     :disbelief: Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
        Quote     Like      Share                   elmo   
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        10 Nov 2015, 19:15 #332
     Superglue is a great prep item....it can be used for makeshift sutures in an emeg....unless of course you wanna go all Stallone in ''First Blood'' and sew ter self up.

:( Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        10 Nov 2015, 19:57 #333

elmo,Nov 10 2015 wrote: Superglue is a great prep item....it can be used for makeshift sutures in an emeg....unless of course you wanna go all Stallone in ''First Blood'' and sew ter self up.

:( You are right.

Can you recommend a brand that does not automatically
     dry up after the first time you use it?

Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        10 Nov 2015, 20:01 #334
     :( I think they all do that. Which is why they are in such small bottles.

Walmart in the auto dept has Permatex brand...4 little bottles for 1.00
     or at least they did...I bought about 6 of them. They remain good as long as they aren't opened. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        10 Nov 2015, 20:04 #335
     Just remembered...Gorilla glue has a new kind out..its supposed to have some give to it and not be brittle like regular super glue.
     But its 5.00 for a Visine bottle sized bottle of it.
     I assume it being in a plastic bottle it may not set up as quickly but I don't know.
     :dunno: Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 62,392
      Creepy as Hell
    Creepy as Hell        10 Nov 2015, 20:10 #336
     Ok, thanks.

I have some here somewhere but I have no idea
     where I put it.

Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        10 Nov 2015, 21:16 #337

Sadie,Nov 10 2015 wrote: Ok, thanks.

I have some here somewhere but I have no idea
     where I put it.
    Check out Walmart-''Permatex'' 4 for a buck ain't bad. Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
    Posts 12,480
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        29 Nov 2015, 20:53 #338
     Folding shovels...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ng+shovels

Axes...
     http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 3Aax&ajr=1 Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
        Quote     Like      Share                   Charlie the Tuna         05 Dec 2015, 15:50 #339
     Radiation Sickness Meds in addition to Potassium Iodide

a start.

http://survivalblog.com/prussian_blue_for_radioactive/

Prussian Blue for Radioactive Isotope Exposure by P.H.

Prussian Blue (“PB”) is a safe treatment for ingested radioactive isotopes that a person may have been exposed to from a dirty bomb or nuclear explosion. It does not protect against radiation, nor treat radiation sickness (there are supplement and drugs that help, see below.) It does not protect against all known radioactive substances (i.e., you would want to take Potassium Iodide (KI) as well to protect against radioactive iodine from a nuclear explosion.) It isn’t a substitute for evacuating out of the path of fallout, or for taking shelter from fallout in a protected place. It’s just one useful tool in the toolbox should you and your family be exposed to airborne particles of radioactive elements. And it can happen: the number of countries with nuclear programs is growing every year, there are nuclear reactor accidents (check a map for the reactors upwind of your home), and we often hear about terrorists wanting to make “dirty bombs” that spread radioactive material around.

MOAR

http://emergency.cdc.gov/radiation/prussianblue.asp

Prussian Blue

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20022901

Diseases and Conditions
     Radiation sickness

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... s+medicine

radiation sickness medicine query    Quote      Share                  Shadow   
    Posts 1,731
      Not quite right
    Not quite right        08 Apr 2016, 23:05 #340
     A couple of links to check out... Lots of useful info...

http://readynutrition.com/

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/ Shadow's Bastion Archive
     [size=50%]Una Salus Victus[/size]

Survival is not enough...

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: Sep 03, 2018    07:05:37 PM »
  •           Morgan Byler   
    Posts 11,136
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        09 Apr 2016, 15:33 #341

when I clicked and this page came up, I saw elmo and I got all excited and then I noted his posts were from 2015

:dejected: storm's getting worse...

look at the sky five minutes every day and five minutes every night and it will change your life.? ?

just sayin'

Quote     Like      Share                    Charlie the Tuna         14 Oct 2016, 13:02 #342
     Because of the increasing war threat between the US and Russia, I would like to add some information that might be of help. The link below is British from 1959. It was made at a time Western countries still had working civil defense (CD) programs and was directed towards boots on the ground NCO equivalent personal. It contains no cartoon characters such as many America CD films of that era. While some of the materials are dated all are explained clearly and worth watching because various parts can be adjusted to current times. But I would suggest sheltering longer than what was recommended.

RADIOACTIVE FALLOUT & FALLOUT IN THE AFFECTED AREA BRITISH CIVIL DEFENSE FILM

Quote      Share                   Charlie the Tuna         15 Oct 2016, 23:47 #343
     http://www.tacda.org/index.php/tacda-academy/

The TACDA Academy provides essential detailed education for everyone. In the TACDA Academy you can access a growing series of online courses, containing materials and information collected over decades of research, that help empower you, your family and your community with the knowledge, skills and resources necessary to be prepared for all types of natural and manmade disasters and emergencies.

The information in the TACDA Academy is free.

TACDA also offers hard copy versions of the Academy Courses in the TACDA Store for only the cost of printing, shipping and handling.

Courses in

Civil Defense Basics

PDFDocuments require Acrobat Reader. Download latest version of Acrobat Reader.

Psychology of Civil Defense
     Nuclear Weapons Effects
     All Hazard Sheltering
     Chemical / Biological Warfare
     EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) & Power Failure
     Radiation
     Natural Disasters
     Food Storage
     Water Purification
     Sanitation
     Cold Weather Survival
     Evacuation & 72-Hour Kits
     Communications
     Alternative Energy & Fuel
     Medical Preparedness
     Triage & First Response
     Post Event Survival

[Much moar]    Quote      Share                  Morgan Byler   
    Posts 11,136
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        16 Oct 2016, 17:33 #344

nice site, charlie

which book is the one that has the downloads in it?

storm's getting worse...

just sayin'

Quote     Like      Share                   Guest         16 Oct 2016, 20:37 #345
     That info was compiled by the organization itself - The American Civil Defense Association (TACDA) which was founded in 1962.
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... ssociation

They sell hard copy reprints.

Parts parallel chapters of the best regular book of it's type -

Nuclear War SurvivalSkills
     Updated and Expanded
     1987 Edition
     Cresson H. Kearny
     With Foreword by Dr. Edward Teller
     Original Edition Published September, 1979,
     by Oak Ridge National Laboratory,

Free Online at -
     http://www.oism.org/nwss/

Kindle edition found at Amazon. New large soft cover now out of stock tho moar pricey copies available from others there.
     https://www.amazon.com/Nuclear-War-Surv ... 094248701X    Quote      Share                   Charlie the Tuna         16 Oct 2016, 20:44 #346
     Looked some moar and see they have it in soft cover for 16.99
     https://www.amazon.com/Nuclear-War-Surv ... 094248701X

Quote      Share                  ShellBeach   
    Posts 1,832
      I think I can I think I...
    I think I can I think I...        26 Nov 2016, 21:03 #347

Charlie the Tuna,Oct 15 2016 wrote:
     PDFDocuments require Acrobat Reader. Download latest version of Acrobat Reader.

Psychology of Civil Defense
     Nuclear Weapons Effects
     All Hazard Sheltering
     Chemical / Biological Warfare
     EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) & Power Failure
     Radiation
     Natural Disasters
     Food Storage
     Water Purification
     Sanitation
     Cold Weather Survival
     Evacuation & 72-Hour Kits
     Communications
     Alternative Energy & Fuel
     Medical Preparedness
     Triage & First Response
     Post Event Survival

[Much moar] Thanks for this. I have been keeping a cheap tablet in all my vehicles and downloading PDFs like this to them in case of emergencies.

It's like having an Emergancy library on hand.    Quote     Like      Share                  Wahya   
    Posts 18,014
      Hard to believe
    Hard to believe        26 Dec 2016, 17:07 #348
     Having the information is good, but you'll be a
     step ahead if you start practicing some of this
     stuff now while ye can.     Quote     Like      Share                   Charlie the Tuna         15 Jan 2017, 18:13 #349
     Good advice about the practicing.

And this to add to Miss Sadie's video of today. A whole variety of them.

http://atomictheater.com/civildefensefilms.htm

Civil Defense Films

An Expanding Archive!
     A growing list of films! Simply click the screenshots for summaries, video, and productions histories of the featured films. If the film you're looking for isn't listed, please let us know, we may be able to track it down for you.

*View Films in Alphabetic Order
     *View Films in Chronological Order    Quote      Share                  Morgan Byler   
    Posts 11,136
      Straight Jacket Time
    Straight Jacket Time        16 Feb 2017, 17:56 #350

I like smoked clams and I was thinking that they might be a good protein alternative to have in our supplies

walmart.com has a couple brands at a very good price:

Linky

Linky

storm's getting worse...

just sayin'

Offline Archiver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: Sep 03, 2018    07:06:40 PM »
               Charlie the Tuna   
    Posts 815
      Chat-aholic
    Chat-aholic        12 Aug 2017, 23:53 #351
     http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-1 ... -goes-down

When The Grid Goes Down...
     Aug 12, 2017 11:00 PM

Authored by Jeremiah Johnson (nom de plume of a retired Green Beret of the United States Army Special Forces) via ReadyNutrition.com,

Let’s just say that the unthinkable becomes the real and happening. Let’s take this article and go over it. This will be a segment in three parts, the next ones being immediate actions taken at work and at home. I’m hitting on traveling first, as there are so many vacationers jaunting around happily over the landscape. All kidding aside, traffic is congested during the summer, extending traveling time on the commutes. Let’s game the scenario, and here it is.
     Here’s the scenario:

You’re cruising down the highway in your 2013 four-door sedan, having just dropped the kids off twenty minutes ago to the swim club. Now you’re on the open highway with a heavy traffic flow…about 5 miles from the edge of town and 7 miles from work. You’re listening to the radio, when suddenly it crackles and goes dead, along with your engine. You look around and pumping the brakes manage to slow down and then drive off the road onto the shoulder, just feet away from the back bumper of another vehicle.

The vehicle comes to a stop, and you try the ignition again. You look at your watch, a Casio G-Shock, to find there is no display. You reach for your cell phone. Nothing. It’s dead. There are perhaps a dozen cars around you…half to your front and half to your rear. All of them have stopped, and most of the drivers have gotten out. You hear the sound of an engine, and looking up, see a ’58 Ford pickup truck weaving in and out of the stalled traffic, moving toward your rear, away from town. The book “One Second After” has just played out in real life. The United States has been attacked by an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) weapon. You’re 15 miles from home, and the “S” has hit the fan.

moar    Quote     Like      Share                  Hoss the SURVIVER   
    Posts 6,266
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        07 Feb 2018, 16:10 #352
     HI ALL

https://urbansurvivalsite.com/quick-tri ... g-weather/

Quick Trick for Keeping Your Feet Warm in Freezing Weather
     Are you sick of your feet freezing every time you go outside in the winter? Sometimes even multiple socks won’t stop your toes from going numb, especially if there’s snow on the ground. There’s a really easy way to keep your feet warmer that only costs a few dollars (if that).

I learned this trick a few years ago, but for the life of me, I couldn’t remember where I’d learned it. I searched Youtube for a while and eventually found the video where I first heard the idea. It’s by IntenseAngler, and it’s really simple.
     1. Take the sole out of your shoe and set it face down on a cheap dollar store sun shade.
     2. Use a Sharpie to trace an outline around the sole.
     3. Use scissors to cut out the outline you just drew.
     4. Put the sole back in your shoe, and put your new custom fit insert into your shoe as well.
     This works really well for keeping your feet warm because not only does it add insulation between your foot and the ground, it also reflects your body heat back onto your foot.
      Hoss dee

Islamic swine that is

Sheep can be dangerous
     BLEET BAAAABAAAHH ? SNAP

Oil' be BACK still have imageshack GRANNY GEEFAW    Quote     Like      Share                  Hoss the SURVIVER   
    Posts 6,266
      CBA 12-step plan
    CBA 12-step plan        08 May 2018, 00:14 #353
     HI ALL

PERSONAL AND
     FAMILY SURVIVAL
     Civil Defense Adult Education Course
     Student Manual

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~ina22/+301 ... TAMINATION

This manual is prepared to give participants in the courses held under the Civil Defense Adult Education Program a permanent record of the matters covered in the course and to serve as a basic home reference on Civil Defense. It does not pretend to be a study of all aspects of the problem.
     No claim is made that this manual is any encyclopedia on Civil Defense or that it is a definitive study. Rather, the manual should be considered to be a collection of basic information needed by families to enhance the chances of their survival under nuclear attack.
     Civil Defense, as part of the total program of national security, affects every unit of government and has heavy implications for most aspects of the individual citizen's daily life. Civil Defense is such a broad and dynamic field of public and personal endeavor that it must be said: that this manual represents the status of official policy and expert opinion as of the date of publication.
     The Civil Defense Adult Education Program is managed for the Office of Civil Defense, Department of Defense, by the U.S. Office of Education, Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. The Office of Civil Defense sends the Office of Education the latest Civil Defense information. The Office of Education, in turn, sends the information to the States and, through them, to instructors of the courses. The instructors have special training to teach this special course and are furnished the latest information available pertaining to it.
     Instructors are instructed to modify the course so that it has the greatest possible meaning and benefit for the people in a particular class. As part of the course, the local Civil Defense Director, or a representative of his office,is invited to make a presentation so participants can understand how Civil Defense operates in their community.
     No given instructor can be expected to know everything about Civil Defense. However, instructors are furnished with standard works, such as Effects of Nuclear Weapons, prepared by the Department of Defense and published by the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, and others of the type represented in the bibliography at the end of the manual.
     The Civil Defense Adult Education Program is now presenting survival information in over 40 States, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia to over 1 million adults a year. The Government commends participants in the course for their prudent interest in personal and national survival.

NOTE-This publication supersedes SM 3-11 "Personal Preparedness in the Nuclear Age," issued August 1961 

Frome the 1960's Hoss dee

Islamic swine that is

Sheep can be dangerous
     BLEET BAAAABAAAHH ? SNAP

Oil' be BACK still have imageshack GRANNY GEEFAW    Quote     Like      Share                  Radioman   
    Posts 2,583
      Top Cat
    Top Cat        18 Aug 2018, 22:37 #354
     Get NOAA weather radio like this one:  Neat preparedness radio When all else fails: Amateur Radio
~~~~~~~~~~
~30~

HEY! YOU GUYS UP IN THE PINNED THREAD!! - Chat Brat Anonymous

Started by ArchiverBoard Chat Brat Archives

Replies: 0
Views: 31
Last post Nov 07, 2018    03:16:35 AM
by Archiver
TSHTF/WW3/End Times etc discussion thread - Chat Brat Anonymous - ( Pinned )

Replies: 68
Views: 1479
Last post Sep 04, 2018    02:00:13 AM
by Archiver
Boy, I'd sure have to be having an emergency - Chat Brat Anonymous

Replies: 1
Views: 34
Last post Sep 23, 2018    01:46:22 AM
by Archiver
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk