World War 3 alert: US Senate attempts to curb Trump’s nuclear strike capability
THE Senate in the United States is to hold a hearing today in attempt to restrict Donald Trump’s power to authorise a nuclear strike as global fears of World War 3 breaking out continue to grow.
By JON ROGERS
Tue, Nov 14, 2017
Both Republicans and Democrats in the House have raised questions over the US President’s “fire and fury” rhetoric against North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un as the sabre rattling and insults are traded between Washington and Pyongyang.
Under the US President’s current powers no one can prevent Mr Trump from launching a nuclear strike on any country and many people in the Senate fear a knee-jerk reaction from Mr Trump could trigger the red button and start a nuclear war.
Republican Tennessee Senator Bob Corker said in a statement: “This discussion is long overdue,” as the announcement was made that the Foreign Relations Committee would oversee the debate.
Military experts such as General C Robert Kehler — former commander of the United States Strategic Command — and Brian McKeon, who served as acting undersecretary for policy at the US Department of Defence, are expected to take part.
Senators are expected to discuss whether they feel Mr Trump is actually fit to be in charge of the country’s nuclear arsenal.
Donald Trump issued a warning to North Korea last week during an address to South Korea’s National Assembly in the capital Seoul. He said: “Do not underestimate us. And do not try us.
“Every step you take down this dark path increases the peril you face
“America does not seek conflict or confrontation, but we will never run from it.”
Source: World War 3 alert: US Senate attempts to curb Trump’s nuclear strike capability