• Occasion2b Main Page

• General Discussion

• Disease Outbreak News

YoNews.org

YoNews Portal

Visit Our New Store

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 18, 2017    07:55:01 PM

Author Topic: 6.4 magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia's Sumatra  (Read 10 times)

Offline YoNews

• Member Plus
    • YoNews.org
6.4 magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia's Sumatra
« on: Aug 13, 2017    03:40:03 AM »
6.4 magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia's Sumatra

An earthquake measuring 6.4 in magnitude struck Indonesia's Sumatra on Sunday, according to the United States Geological Survey. Seismologists, however, said there was no risk of tsunami. The quake hit at a depth of 35 kilometres at 10:08 AM (0308 GMT) 73 kilometres west of Bengkulu, news agency AFP reported.

Meanwhile, panicked residents fled their homes. There are no reports of damage or casualties, however.

Speaking to news agency AFP, Indonesia's meteorology and geophysics agency official said that the tremors were quite strong. "The earthquake was quite strong and shallow, it was felt all the way to Padang, West Sumatra, but there was no threat of a tsunami," he said. He added the officials are looking out if there are any casualties or property damage after the tremors.

A resident of Bengkulu region in Indonesia, Neng Hasnah told AFP that her family fled the house out of fear as the tremors were quite strong. "I was carrying my seven-month old granddaughter and I had to run, all the neighbours also ran outside their homes," Hasnah said.

Source: 6.4 magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia's Sumatra

Nature News Blog: Why the 11 April Sumatran earthquake has scientists puzzled : Nature News Blog

Started by beastBoard Archives

Replies: 0
Views: 381
Last post Apr 13, 2012    07:45:11 AM
by beast
The Great comet and the Great Earthquake of 1911

Started by beastBoard Archives

Replies: 0
Views: 2922
Last post Mar 10, 2011    03:09:20 AM
by beast